transcendence Re: Malevolence

From: Ernest N. Prabhakar (ernest@alumni.caltech.edu)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 19:14:45 PDT

on 5/13/00 11:29 AM, cdale@silly.techmonkeys.net at
cdale@silly.techmonkeys.net wrote:

> Hmm...God rather than self? Isn't that dualism, something that is not
> part of the eastern thought process? I guess I should make myself more
> clear. I'm referring to eastern philosophy, such as buddhism, etc.
> Cindy

Well, yes, but I would argue that in Eastern philosophy God is a given, self
is not, so that this is a more appropriate referent to sentience. Besides,
the very issue of "sentience" and "definition" is arguably a Western
construct. If you're talking strict Zen Buddhism, I doubt they'd even
consider anything as crass as this. They'd just tell a Koan or something.
This is the best way I would to translate Eastern thinking into western
terminology.

For the record, I wouldn't consider myself an adherent or an expert in
Eastern philosophy, but I do have a fair amount of exposure.

*My* definition of sentience is the ability to make conscious moral choices.
Which I believe every human does (though not all the time), and no animals
do (except my dog Maggie, who clearly had moral deficiencies. :-).

-- Ernie P.