RE: More on Metallica vs. Napster

From: Ryan Bloom (rbb@ntrnet.net)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 09:00:44 PDT

> Artists are no less-screwed in a performing world then a recording one.
> The artists get about the same percentage of a CD or a ticket. Replace
> the record label with the uber-scalper ticketmaster and promoters. When
> bands talk about the T-shirts paying the bills, they aren't joking. Look
> at all the bands that start their own labels, don't see them getting
> rich do you? [hint: no]...

They may not be getting rich, but they do make a living if they are good.
Take, for example, one of my favorite musicians, Peter Mulvey. Peter has
a label (I can't remember who it is), but they aren't a big label. He was
a subway singer for a long time, and his music became known because people
heard him in the subway and then in clubs in Boston. Friends introduced
each other to his music, and now he has a big enough following that he
travels the US (and to Ireland where he is really known well). I have
never seen him sell a T-shirt, but he does sell his own CD's. The last
time I went to a concert, back in Boston before I moved to Raleigh and the
SF, I bought three of his CD's for $15 total.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom rbb@apache.org
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131