RE: [Winer] Sun & SOAP: Yes or no?

From: Jim Whitehead (ejw@ics.uci.edu)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 10:24:12 PDT

What I don't understand is why Dave thinks Sun is important for adoption of
SOAP. It not like Sun will immediately drop RMI (also an RPC) if they start
adopting SOAP, so removing a competitor isn't a good reason. Sun also
doesn't sell, to the best of my knowledge, a significant number of back-end
services that would be a huge win to SOAPify. SOAP in Solaris might be
interesting, but I doubt we'll see kernel implemented SOAP anytime soon. It
could be that Sun has a bigger application integration service than I had
realized, and thus SOAP could be a valuable glue technology for that, but
this makes Sun just another consumer of the technology, and hence not a big
player in its adoption. True, Sun has a big name, but as Apache shows,
eventually impact wins out over name recognition in protocol adoption.

- Jim