Re: RE: [Winer] Sun & SOAP: Yes or no?

From: Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 19:00:49 PDT

Adam Beberg writes:
> On Thu, 18 May 2000, v - Mark Kuharich wrote:
> > XML takes a lot of bandwidth and parsing, why use this instead of a simple
> > binary protocol like IIOP or JRMP that has been designed for object
> > invocation?
>
> Simple, you can't patent or otherwise control binary protocols. Same old
> stupid story as WAP, patent, patent, patent. I'm sure I've just violated
> at least 37 laws even talking about it without 3 lawyers present.

There are a couple of problems with this suggestion; one is that WAP
(patent, patent, patent) consists of binary protocols, and another is
that Dave Winer, who originated the XML-RPC protocol that SOAP evolved
from, is fervently anti-software-patent.

Your paragraph amounts to a scurrilous defamation of Dave's character.
He's probably too busy to care, but I suppose he could sue you for
damages and win if he wanted to bother.

It also doesn't make sense, for the reasons described above.

For an approximation of the answer, I suggest comparing the size of the
XML-RPC spec to the size of the IIOP spec. Or just read the XML-RPC
spec <http://www.xmlrpc.com/spec> instead of tossing around vicious
lies about the motives of people you don't know. (Hint: firewalls,
discoverability, implementability.)

> Binary protocols are smaller, faster, language-independant,
> unpatentable, and free.

"smaller": yes, the data is smaller. The implementation is much larger.
"faster": true, in general.
"language-independent": XML-RPC has bindings to more languages than ILU
        or CORBA, despite being a fraction of their age.
"unpatentable": you must know something about patent law I don't :)
"free": I'm not sure what this means, but there's nothing that's any
        more "free" about IIOP than XML-RPC.

> Please remove brain and wash with SOAP, rinse, repeat. Once your IQ
> drops to about 70, you can put on a tie and you will understand. And if
> you put on a suit, you'll be a zealot (and an idiot).

What did you just say about being a zealot? :)

Truth to tell, I don't know much about SOAP.

The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!
The power didn't go out on 2000-01-01 either.  :)