RE: RE: [Winer] Sun & SOAP: Yes or no?

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol (gtn@ebt.com)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 23:04:20 PDT

> lies about the motives of people you don't know. (Hint: firewalls,
> discoverability, implementability.)

These are all important goals, and XML-RPC and SOAP will be useful because
of them (hey, I built a loosely-coupled message bus using XML-RPC, and
it was great because the messages were "heavy" so the bandwidth used
to effect ratio was high (which is interesting, because CORBA/DCOM have
similar design tradeoffs)).

As such I don't *dislike* SOAP, I dislike it being over-hyped. For quick
and dirty projects, or loose integration where there is little chit-chat
on the wire, SOAP is ok. Otherwise it sucks.

> "smaller": yes, the data is smaller. The implementation is
> much larger.

I debate the latter. Really SOAP et al. are just a tunneling of
a serialized method invocation on top of HTTP. The code for marshalling
and unmarshalling is *at least* as complicated as anything else
if you include the XML parser (which isn't hard, but is non-trivial).
Compare XDR to XML....

I would agree that binary is *harder* to implement.

> "language-independent": XML-RPC has bindings to more languages than ILU
> or CORBA, despite being a fraction of their age.

Yep. Then again though, XML-RPC does less than either of those two so it's
not quite a fair comparison.

Interestingly, I know of a company that had performance problems in
enterprise deployments because their protocol had too much chit-chat.
They decided to use XML-RPC, and the problem became much worse, so they
abandoned it. The problem was that they were solving the wrong problem...
replacing the IPC mechanism instead of fixing interfaces.