Re: MPEG4 Att sees the lights?

From: Ernest N. Prabhakar (ernest@alumni.caltech.edu)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 10:58:44 PDT

on 5/15/00 9:29 AM, Tom Whore at tomwhore@inetarena.com wrote:

> Werd. Interesting, the rumor that MPEG4 is "based on QuickTime" is, of
> course, false. The file format for MPEG4 is based on QuickTime, but the
> Codec et alia is not.

Um, that seems like a non sequitor. QuickTime is more the file format (and
associated API) than anything else. QuickTime supports a bajillion
different codecs (including MPEG1, MPEG2, and MP3), and my understanding
that one of the purposes of MPEG4 was more about API and format than just
codecs.

> But wouldn't you know there's something else of
> interest with MPEG4. Unlike MPEG2 which is frame-based, MPEG4 is object
> based, and interactive. The stream can be customized and changed on the
> fly, meaning that TV can be personalized, and of course, advertising can
> become more demographically targeted. So, in 5 years when you're watching
> European soccer from the US, the ads along the side lines could be for
> shops in your neighborhood. Yeah for Technology

Um, I can do that today with Flash running in QuickTime TV. So can most
people in a web browser.

What's the big payoff, then? Having HDTVs supporting it? Or more
generally available Codecs? Or is the 5 years more about broadband?

--Ernie P

Ernest N. Prabhakar, Ph.D.
ernest@drernie.com
http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~ernest