Re: Possible Old bits, but interesting none the less.

From: JS Kelly (jskelly@jskelly.com)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 12:50:59 PDT

Hi Carey,

I've never really been a shortwave listener, but I did shortwave
broadcasting for a couple of years when I lived in Europe. Everyone
generally agrees that the numbers stations are spy transmissions, & even
though I've never heard of that being officially confirmed in any way, I
believe it. And I seriously doubt that they can be cracked (as the
challenge posted to Slashdot suggests).

If you want to get more information about shortwave radio broadcasts
(including numbers stations) try the rec.radio.shortwave newsgroup
(usually discussions of radios and antennas, but I'm sure there has to be
a FAQ somewhere, and they'll be able to answer any questions you have on
tweaking reception) and Monitoring Times <http://www.grove-ent.com/hmpgmt.html>.

73s,

JS Kelly
jskelly@jskelly.com