Re: Yet another example of Microsoft Evil

From: Mark Baker (distobj@acm.org)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 19:59:17 PDT

At 09:41 PM 5/29/00 -0500, Jeff Bone wrote:
>Ask yourself: why integrate DAV support into the client apps, instead
>of integrating into the filesystem directly?

Because then existing applications wouldn't know when they were dealing
with a local or remote file store, despite the fact that local and remote
file access are two very different beasts. For example, the application
(or even the OS) may have some logic in it that assumes that file access
latency is very small, or that when the app dies at some known point, that
the file is in some similarly-known state. Neither of those can be assumed
over a network.

But I still prefer the Evil explanation .. 8-)

MB