Yet another intro

From: Patrick Thompson (thompson@roguewave.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 18:39:42 PDT

Hi,

I just joined the list. I'm not a friend of Rohit, although I don't dislike
him.
Actually I don't even know him. But he seems like a friendly enough fellow.
After all, he did let me join his list....

I'm not sure how I ended up here, but somehow I keep coming across this
list. Each time I've noticed some interesting discussion going on, so this
time
I thought I would just join.

As way of introduction, I'd just like to say that I've had e-mail since the
mid-1980s,
first as a student at UCSC and then as an employee at Bell Northern
Research.
At BNR I discovered the Usenet which, until the Web came along, was my
favorite tool of procrastination.

I grew up in the Bay Area--in Los Gatos, where I probably couldn't afford to
live today.
Five and a half years ago I moved up to Corvallis, Oregon to join Rogue Wave
Software.
I do miss my bicycle adventures in the Santa Cruz mountains, but not the
traffic. Traffic here
is when you have 2 people at a stop sign in front of you. Rogue Wave has
been good.
There are some great people here. Recently some of my colleagues and I
co-wrote a book
called Elements of Java Style. It's been doing pretty well. We get a kick
out of watching our
Amazon sales ranking. We watch it almost as much as our stock price (which
has been a
sore issue of late). I work as an architect at Rogue Wave, most recently on
our XML products.
We have two SOAP products out now. One allows SOAP access to ORBs (Orbix,
VisiBroker,
and our own Nouveau ORB). The other provides SOAP access to databases,
allowing you
to execute named and parameterized sets of SQL statements on the server. In
my time here,
I've worked on libraries for distributed and multithreaded computing and
have represented
Rogue Wave at the OMG and the W3C.

I have a wife, two kids, and three bikes.

And maybe someday I'll actually meet the famous Rohit Khare.

-Patrick

---
Patrick Thompson
thompson@roguewave.com