[FoRK History Lesson] June 1, 1994: First on-line release of full-length entertainment work from a major artist.

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 17:16:31 PDT

It's been just six years since the June 1, 1994 on-line release of an
Aerosmith song...

   http://www.gii.com/nicampgn/29b6.htm

Putting this here for the FoRK History Lesson part of this scrapbook...
I was wondering which mainstream act first endorsed the transfer of
music over the Internet (in a day when no one could even conceive of
something like Napster and all the pirates had to steal music in 18
parts on alt.music.binaries.flonk.flonk.flonk and ). Guess we have the
answer: Aerosmith. Life was simpler then: FoRK was still 18 months from
starting up, Netscape was still called Mosaic Communications (does
http://www.mcom.com/ even work anymore?), Adam Curry still owned
mtv.com, the world hadn't yet been forced to suffer through Woodstock II
(let alone Woodstock III), David Filo and Jerry Yang were first leaving
graduate school, and Andrew "Werdna" Tong still had the best pages on
the Web (Google for some reason thinks he still exists at
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~werdna/ but we know better...).

BTW, von Goeben would later go on to pen the lovely http://www.thevc.com/ ...

> First on-line release of full-length entertainment work from a major
> artist.
>

> Demonstration of the Utility and Capability of the NII:
>
> If the purpose of the awards is to spotlight successful examples of use
> of the National Information Infrastructure, encourage new uses, expand
> its role in quality of life and bringing the information highway into
> peoples lives, this entry stands out. Geffens release proved people
> worldwide could easily enjoy full-length, broadcast-quality stereo
> entertainment from a top-selling artist: Aerosmith. This was not an
> impromptu, low-fidelity test from unknown musicians that would otherwise
> go unnoticed. This was not a promotional clip for a song also on sale in
> the store. This was the real thing, so much so that radio stations
> retrieved the song and played it, spreading the word that you can now
> get your music with a modem.
>

> And it proved another lesson about the information highway:
>
> Geffen incurred no distribution costs, and no charges were assessed
> users (Compuserve waived all connect fees). The National Information
> Infrastructure holds the potential of fostering a renaissance of
> artistic and creative expression. A wired world can be a world without
> borders, censors, out-of-print and out-of-stock signs. It will encourage
> musicians, writers, moviemakers, speakers, poets to take advantage of
> world-wide exposure as near as a telephone wire or cable connection.
>
> Theorists discussed this, but someone needed to do it. Many people at
> Compuserve, Geffen and Aerosmith made it happen. These three people at
> Geffen Records were most responsible: Robert von Goeben coordinated
> Geffens work with Compuserve, Luke Wood lined up the talent and legal
> approvals, and Jim Griffin digitized the music, compressed it and built
> Geffens information network. They proved the National Information
> Infrastructure can broadly expand access to arts and entertainment, and
> will give artists new, more efficient ways to reach their audiences.
> They are pioneers and deserve recognition for this historic first.
>

> Example of Practical Usage of the NII:
>
> This was a powerful example of practical use of the National Information
> Infrastructure because it proved on-line distribution works, even for
> audio/video content. Well over 10,000 people accessed the file, unknown
> thousands during the week the file was available on Compuserve and many
> more after the song was transferred to Internet sites and bulletin
> boards. The song was easy to play, with Windows users simply
> double-clicking the file name after download; users of other computers
> using common software available free on-line.
>
> Perhaps most important, it prodded lawmakers and architects of the
> information highway to take legal and technical steps to hold users
> accountable to creators of digital information. This is a prerequisite
> to serious entertainment industry use of the digital infrastructure. It
> [...]

----
Adam@4K-Associates.Com

Your .sigs are a special case in reality (although not in the code); they are rarely, if ever, repeated in your next post. Thus they are signal, not noise. -- Kragen Sitaker