Re: Barlow on Napster

From: Dave Winer (dave@userland.com)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 17:17:45 PDT

No no not a flametoss, a statement of reverence. MS-DOS was a stark almost
invisible thing that made Lotus 1-2-3 possible. Also, like MS-DOS Apache is
fast and works. Things that work. What a concept. So many things that people
bluster about don't do anything at all. I was in a panel discussion with a
VC earlier this week. I asked how many of the partnerships his companies
announce have any substance at all. He said 1-in-3, thinking he was showing
me to be an idiot. Can you imagine an industry where only 1/3 of the deals
have any substance. What about the other 2/3? Well, I'm rambling of course.
Apache is for real. It's complicated. It's virtually invisible. I never hear
VCs talking about Apache. Good stuff. Dave