Re: National Sign-On Letter to House on H-1Bs, U.S. Immigration

From: Joachim Feise (jfeise@ics.uci.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 10:25:30 PDT

"Adam L. Beberg" wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Joachim Feise wrote:
> > Age discrimination sure exists in some instances, but Norm Matloff
> > makes it sound as if this is the rule, without giving sound (and
> > provable) evidence.
>
> Oh please, just look around. I've already run into this myself and I'm
> "only" 26.5. I can't prove it either, but it's there, and everyone knows

Being 37.5, I never ran into it.
If you ran into it, it is due to clueless managers. But this has nothing
to do with immigration per se. Of course, some of the people that are
"imported" as you put it are clueless, but the mere fact that these
people leave their home countries and families and plunge into a
quite different culture indicates that they are much more willing to try
out new directions and are much more self-confident that the average
American programmer.

-Joe