Re: National Sign-On Letter to House on H-1Bs, U.S. Immigration

From: Norm Matloff (matloff@cs.ucdavis.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 14:03:04 PDT

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 12:49:53PM -0700, Joachim Feise wrote:

> > Moreover, Norm's positions have the overwhelming support of over 80%
> > of the American population. Even legislators have admitted that the
> > reasons they're taking their anti-American positions on
> > H1B/immigration are because industry is PAYING them to do so.

> I do not know where you get this number from. Any sources? Or is this
> another biased poll? As every statistics researcher knows, it is very
> easy to pose questions on these polls in a way that the answers are
> invariably biased.

This is typical of Joe's style. What he does is say, "Gee, we don't
know, there MIGHT be something wrong here, and therefore you are
wrong." What he never does is actually check these things out for
himself.

The poll was a Harris Poll. In posing the question, the pollsters
first gave respondents the main points made by both sides of the
H-1B argument, and then asked whether the H-1B quota should be
increased. I have the exact wording somewhere if you want to
take a look.

> The same argumentative flaw shows up in your assertion that legislators can
> not think for themselves. Everybody can make such a statement, but you
> paraphrasing it is quite useless.

The legislators think very clearly when they see dollar signs. Here is
what Rep. Tom Davis (R-Va.), had the gall to say,

   "This is not a popular bill with the public. It's popular with the
   CEOs...This is a very important issue for the high-tech executives
   who give the money."

Rep. Davis is chair of the Republican Congressional Campaign Committee.

> It is interesting that there is a group of migration researchers at
> Mr. Matloff's university that does not quite agree with him. Unlike
> Mr. Matloff, these people are really researching the topic. Take a
> look at http://migration.ucdavis.edu/

Joe, I don't see what you are referring to at that Web page.

Norm