Re: One of the worst ideas in recent memory

From: Chuck Murcko (chuck@topsail.org)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 07:54:50 PDT

Y'know, this tweaks my basic unease about this whole sordid affair.
Maybe I look at the whole issue too simply, but to me it seems:

1) M$ evades first antitrust action
2) Second antitrust action ensues with more plaintiffs
3) M$ stonewalls; claims suppression of innovation will ensue
4) Antitrust action proceeds; M$ stuck in loop at 3)
5) Antitrust action culminates in decision; M$ still stuck in loop at 3)
6) Antitrust action headed for high court appeals; M$ apparently still
stuck in loop at 3)

Why does this remind me of Windows? 8^)

M$ has had plenty of opportunities to deal with the Fed and eviscerate
the whole antitrust process; instead they kept repeating the same old
line from 3). They have had a number of chances to avoid the (not so
clueful) actions of the Fed, and have chosen not to play.

I have little sympathy for M$, because they've taken the
all-too-familiar line of playing the victim, instead of taking
responsibility for their actions. This whole affair has gotten like an
amplified version of a "hot coffee spilled in lap" lawsuit. M$ is just
trying to scale it further than anyone else has tried to; further than
they ever managed to scale NT.

IMO, both M$ and the Fed should be broken up into smaller entities. I
don't like having either of them in my face.

--
Chuck
Chuck Murcko