Re: looking for a good report generation package

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 08:14:29 PDT

I've seen many references in the last 5 years to Crystal Reports (created by
Seagate or one of the HD manufacturers). It is used by quite a few companies.

If I had to do a lot of this, I'd couple python (perl would do also) with a
good, clean graphing library and generate HTML or XML directly, using style
sheets. Tables solve most of the headache of size and wrap.

The minor formatting work needed is easily offset by the use of a full
scripting language with indexed collection support that makes it easy to do
arbitrarily complex post-processing of database info.

sdw

--
Insta.com - Revolutionary E-Business Communication
sdw@insta.com Stephen D. Williams  Senior Consultant/Architect   http://sdw.st