Another Dot-com blowup

From: Antoun Nabhan (
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 11:02:42 PDT

Today's <> about the demise of I think they were
the site that hosted the crime statistics by neighborhood, which was a
nifty tool for all of us mobile types who have to rent apartments sight
unseen in cities we've never lived in.

The story of their demise is in the mold: Spend way too much on
advertising and use that as your primary mechanism of customer acquisition,
then fail to get that much revenue back from your eyeballs. When big
ad-firm invoices start to look like recurring costs of goods sold instead
of one-time sales, general, and administrative costs, you've got a problem.

I'm not saying it's easy to succeed with a startup, but there are some
failure modes that are easily foreseeable!

Antoun Nabhan - Arrayex, Inc. * 617.901.8871 voice/page
"We will invent ways to enable freedom faster than tyrants can develop the
means to suppress them." - Eric Raymond