Re: More Courtney, extrapolations...

From: Ken Meltsner (kenneth.meltsner@cai.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 10:59:51 PDT

She's dead right, of course, and so's Jeff. One of the biggest reasons
that people buy books is that the content is filtered. I've read
slushpile submissions (and made my share), and 80% is utter crap, and
most of the remaining 20% doesn't work for one or more reasons.

It's the same with scientific journals and conferences. In my previous
life as a metallurgist, most conferences and workshops accepted *every*
submission. As a result, useful content was pretty hard to find. It's
a lot tougher to get a paper published in computer science, I believe,
and even though the stiffer competition means that some
off-the-beaten-path work doesn't get published, I think the average ACM
Transactions or IEEE Proceedings is of much higher quality than the
equivalent publication in metallurgy.

So, as always, a question: How do we keep the good part (filtering) and
lose the yucky bits?

Ken