RE: Sametime, same bat station

From: Mark Day (markday@cisco.com)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 13:11:24 PDT

Something similar was running as a demo inside Lotus late last year. In the
prototype, there was a particular "special person" who you could put on your
Sametime buddy list. When you sent that "person" an instant message, they
would immediately send you back a translated version. You could switch
between French, German, and Spanish (I think). It was pretty amusing. I
assume that the new version has a less klugey interface.

I don't know what to think about the idea that it took a team of 250 to do
this. I had thought it was a pretty straightforward hack using other
vendors' translation engines, but maybe there's more to it.

--Mark

Mark Stuart Day
Senior Scientist
Cisco Systems