Re: Sametime, same bat station

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 16:55:32 PDT

Mark Day wrote:

> Something similar was running as a demo inside Lotus late last year. In the
> prototype, there was a particular "special person" who you could put on your
> Sametime buddy list. When you sent that "person" an instant message, they
> would immediately send you back a translated version. You could switch
> between French, German, and Spanish (I think). It was pretty amusing. I
> assume that the new version has a less klugey interface.
>
> I don't know what to think about the idea that it took a team of 250 to do
> this. I had thought it was a pretty straightforward hack using other
> vendors' translation engines, but maybe there's more to it.

I agree. I thought about doing this, last year. Some associates used to own a
translation software company and have contacts, etc.

Maybe there were 225 testers?

Of course it's possible that they augmented a phrase database or something.
Ideally you would design the system to do that on the fly in a distributed way.

An open-source translation engine, once it existed to a somewhat usable state,
could easily grow by volunteers that agree to 'fix' bad translations.

sdw

--
Insta.com - Revolutionary E-Business Communication
sdw@insta.com Stephen D. Williams  Senior Consultant/Architect   http://sdw.st