Re: WAP IT

From: Meltsner, Kenneth (Kenneth.Meltsner@ca.com)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 15:12:24 PDT

Admittedly, your mileage may vary, etc. but a 1-MIPS machine was probably
later than the late '70s -- the original MIT Athena target was 1 MIPS (around
1983) and that was considered to be roughly "workstation class" performance.
The original PC had a 4.77 MhZ clock, and used at least 4 cycles for each
instruction, so I suppose it was nominally 1 MIPS, but a "VAX MIPS" was worth
at least 10x a PC, I think.

Ken