RE: [syndication] Namespaces discussion

From: Scott Sweeney (ssweeney@idiosync.net)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 20:16:03 PDT

[from http://discuss.userland.com/msgReader$18280]

I'm just joining in on the RSS discussion, so I hope this is relevant,
respectful, and not redundant...

I think the namespaces are horrendous if you are trying to use them from a
traditional user/programmer perspective, when hand writing or reading them
manually, but from a parser or computer perspective, from what I see, they
can hold amazing value, expandability, and help "enhance the picture" if
anything (..although bandwidth is another story), but I think it boils down
to what your app needs today.

When a parser views namespaced tags, it can easily ignore them and abstract
them from view, unlike a user. I can understand that the benefit of
namespaces sure isn't helpful or apparent for most of todays XML apps
because most (at least I would speculate) are user-oriented, manually-coded
or structured, and used in isolated apps where cross-web-data joins aren't
feasible, scalable or needed. But I think those joins (and ones that can be
made dynamically) will be helpful down the road when the web advances to the
whole "schema is the API" mantra, and the XML store stuff you're working on,
Dave, becomes a reality.

Scott Sweeney
ssweeney@idiosync.net

PS - I'd love to hear Ed is doing the joins.