Re: Interesting question

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 20:43:00 PDT

It's staggering to think about, really... the difference between gigabit and top-end DSL is
close-order 4-5x the difference between today's top-end DSL and the first commercial modems.
When you think about the increase in depth, richness, and variety of experience between the
first modems and DSL, and then multiply that *increase* by 4-5x, that's what gigabit to the
house is going to get us over today's high-end pipes.

Wow.

Another way to think about it: Ultra SCSI has a max bandwidth of 40 Mb / sec; IDE / ATA has
something like 33 Mb / sec. Gigabit network interfaces are right around the capacity of
today's top-end consumer local storage.

Wow, wow, wow.

Thanks to everybody for the thoughts on how to use it... keep 'em flowing. ;-) Here's a
follow-on question: when do y'all think consumer-priced gigabit to the home will be available
in your respective areas?

jb