Re: introduction / walking wounded

From: Dave Long (dl@silcom.com)
Date: Tue Jul 04 2000 - 01:27:11 PDT

> And now I have a question... How can I (actually, can I?) access the
> newsgroups by email?

Is it still possible to get a UUCP feed? You wouldn't need a full
feed, just one for the groups in which you're interested.

Come to think of it, I found reading news faster in 1983 than I do
in 2000, despite not only the usual Moore's law arguments, but also
going from a machine shared with a dozen or so other people to one
for my exclusive use. I guess s/w gets slower faster than h/w gets
faster. (Wirth?)

> Here's the thing, imagine CONDENSING it into one button push.
> On your Internet phone, you have a home page with 5 buttons ...

Imagine condensing it into NO button pushes.

(Am I missing something here? If an activity is important enough
to be on a "top five" list, one shouldn't need a handset, but for
less important activities, five is too limiting a number.)

-Dave

> ... and without having to talk to the delivery guy or tip him.

So agora-phobics (as distinct from agoraphobics) are the main
segment for these services? Talking and tipping may be good ideas,
but neither is compulsory.