dumb question: DNS nameservers for hire?

From: Joseph S. Barrera III (joe@barrera.org)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 05:16:51 PDT

Hi,

I have a dumb little question. I'm finally about to host a domain
(ATHSCME.COM) on my own computer. Whom should I use as the nameserver? My
cable modem company? If they balk ("you're not supposed to be hosting
servers on our cable modem lines"), then who else should I use? Are there
companies that for a small fee will add an entry for you in their
nameservers? I suppose I could always ask Broadbase IT, but what happens
if/when I change companies? (Have to think about that, this is the Valley,
after all. Well, actually, it's the Peninsula, but everyone thinks of us as
the Valley, still...)

- Joe

Joseph S. Barrera III
Software Architect