Re: Apple Open Source

From: Wilfredo Sánchez (wsanchez@apple.com)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 11:26:13 PDT

> Wilfred gets his name in lights. Funniest thing after reading
> this article--Mac and FreeBSD/OpenBSD have always been one version
> of Java behind. I never saw the connection until now.

  My understanding is that Java on Mac OS is in much better shape than Java on FreeBSD or on Linux, but I don't use Java, and don't care that much. But what's that got to do with the paper?

> The top 4 problems wedding FreeBSD and MacOS?

  No, just interesting things we ran into. There are plenty of others I didn't write about because I don't know about all of them. I'm pretty certain that the really hard work is being done by the Carbon folks. The BSD side of the system is pretty much still BSD. They are doing most of the adapting.

> 1) And the number one problem? It does't run Gnome-Aqua.

  Yeah. That really keeps us up late at night.

        -Fred, or Wilfredo, but not Wilfred ;)

Wilfredo Sánchez, wsanchez@apple.com
Open Source Engineering Lead
Apple Computer, Inc., Core Operating System Group
1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA 94086, 408.974-5174