Re: [Salon] "Survivor" secret may be out -- warning: may include spoiler.

From: Mike Masnick (mike@techdirt.com)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 16:34:43 PDT

At 03:44 PM 7/19/00 -0700, Adam Rifkin -4K wrote:
>Stuff about survivor that I <snipped>

I've never seen the show either, but here's a little story about how I'm
now connected with the show.

Back in October, when CBS first announced Survivor, I had posted a story
about it to Techdirt at:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/991008/1139209_F.shtml

Then, once the show came on the air, I suddenly noticed that page was
getting a bit of extra traffic (no one ever looks at articles from months
ago). So, I checked it out and there were all these comments from people
about the show, including some from people who seemed to assume we were
associated with the show and wanting to know how to get on the next one.
I've also received two article submissions, and numerous emails about
Survivor, including stories about how its ageist, and how it's destroying
the world (or something like that).

A little sniffing around and we discovered that if you go to Infoseek and
do a search for "CBS Survivor" you get:

http://www.go.com/Titles?col=WW&qt=cbs+survivor&svx=home_searchbox&sv=IS&lk=
noframes

Which gives that Techdirt article as the *first* result. Since then more
and more people have been commenting, as if it were a message board about
the Survivor show. I wonder if I'm getting any new Techdirt readers that
way... Though, it strikes me that the target audiences are a bit different.
 And, hell, if you can't figure out that we're not at all associated with
the show from the page, then I'm not sure I want you reading my site.

 -Mike