Lightshare

From: Gregory Alan Bolcer (gbolcer@ics.uci.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 15:22:11 PDT

Hey, this is a really good idea. I wonder if there are any other
companies doing this type of p2p e-commerce via Napster/Gnutella/Freenet.
I like how they say they have ex-Google engineers. Obviously
not the good ones as their stock wouldn't have vested quite yet.

Greg

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-2302329.html?tag=st.ne.1002.tgif.ni
Start-up to fuse file swapping with
  e-commerce
  By John Borland
  Staff Writer, CNET News.com
  July 20, 2000, 12:55 p.m. PT

  A new Internet company is hoping to turn the massive file-swapping
  communities developed by technologies like Napster and Gnutella into
  an e-commerce engine.

  The company, called Lightshare, is preparing a service that will allow individual
  computer users to sell digital goods directly from their computers rather than
  going through centralized servers from companies like eBay or Amazon.com. It
  is staffed largely with former Netscape, America Online and Time Warner
  engineers and is funded by executives from Microsoft, Netscape
  Communications and Google.

"We're taking the service of eBay but making it
                 point-to-point," said Clarence Kwan, chief executive
                 of the young company. "None of the information
                 actually resides in our computers. All we do is
                 facilitate the process."

  The Mountain View, Calif., company will be Web-based, in the sense that
  anyone who wants to sell or buy something will go through the Lightshare site
  to make the transaction. But the products themselves--initially digital files like
  songs or software--will actually be traded between individuals' computers, the
  same way that songs swapped through Napster never actually touch a Napster
  server.

--
Gregory Alan Bolcer        | gbolcer@endtech.com    | work: 949.833.2800
Chief Technology Officer   | http://www.endtech.com | cell: 714.928.5476