Re: FW: Kill the RIAA: a protocol

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 21:58:23 PDT

> Eventually, all the bits will have
> voluntary payments, but will be low quality because you wont be able to
> get rich off bits, so why bother.

Counterargument: plenty of people have spent plenty of time creating Linux and
associated tools, which IMO are on the whole much higher-quality than commercial
alternatives. Uptime on the home Linux box topped 100 days, as it often does,
before the last time I took it down --- and I took it down while I went on
vacation, not for technical reasons. By contrast, the Win box rarely stays up
even 100 *hours,* and most often chooses its own times for a reboot. ;-) Very
few people, really, are getting directly paid for the bits they've contributed to
things like Linux, and yet the quality is quite high and the voluntary effort
towards building things like Linux is increasing.

> So does this RIAA boycot mean you don't buy any CD's, or watch any MTV,
> or listen to the radio, or even listen to the elevator music. No TV,
> that has music in the shows. No movies either, those have songs. No
> going to concerts of course. Have fun doing nothing, the RIAA is one of
> those organizations that owns you.

Instead of doing those things, I'm just going to sit here and play my harmonica
until this all blows over. Anyway, it's going to be hard to do any of those
things while I'm in the Outback for Survivor II.

;-)

jb