Content and Distribution seen as polar.... was Re: More Napster Pablum

From: Eirikur Hallgrimsson (eh@mad.scientist.com)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 22:00:51 PDT

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Jeff Bone wrote:
> * As an example. Everybody say it with me, say it in unison: "you cannot
> control both the content and the distribution channel." The market tells business
> this over, and over, and over, and over again. "We will not let you control both
> content and distribution channel." Eventually, business will get it.

Jeff, do you have a reference for this? Doesn't the history of
newspapers play against it? Well, I suppose that today's newspapers
print a lot of wire service stories for the most part. Local TV
stations are sort of the same. Still, I'd like to hear more about
this argument.

What do you think is the underlying pressure that causes this effect?
The only thing that I can think of is the tendency of dual-business
companies to fail unless the businesses are closely related due to
the inability to be as focused as an unsplit competitor.

What about book publishing for goodness sake?

Ben Franklin and the early broadsheet entrepreneurs wrote or
commissioned their copy. Early web sites were mostly homegrown text.
Maybe I'm coming around to your point of view, but I don't understand
the underlying mechanism.

Eirikur