Re: More Napster Pablum

From: ThosStew@aol.com
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 06:24:43 PDT

In a message dated 7/27/2000 11:34:59 PM, jbone@jump.net writes:

>Why isn't the RIAA trying to block sales to public libraries? I mean,
>shit, they're not only cataloging the stuff, they're also *providing the
>content.* Doesn't get much more black and white than that, does it?

yeah, you can tape the CD, etc.; and you can photocopy the book you checked
out from the library--scan it too. And you can sneak your camcorder into the
theater and make a copy of the movie you're watching. A little leakage is
like a little jaywalking, and no big deal. But massive copying, mass-produced
copying, like insurance fraud, raises the price for all of us, and takes
bread from the mouths of writers, musicians, etc--the vasst majority of whom
make little enough money as it is.

BTW in the UK there's a "public lending right" for books in libraries. A pool
of money (I don't know how generated, maybe tax revenues, maybe from the sale
of books) is divided up every year among writers based on how many times
their books are checked out of the nation's public libraries.

Tom