Re: Software and the First Amendment

From: Tom Whore (
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 08:06:18 PDT

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, it was written:

--]just says that Nixon is a crook, which is protected speech. And speech
--]recognition would just make the code == speech idea more explicit. But
--]applying the rules of speech to machines (which is what software is for)
--]would be a low level change in the legal system.

Which leads me to ask... Can you yell print "fire\n"; in a crowded

--]IANAL, but I think it is possible that this concept really wasn't
--]addressed in the constitution. Which means that our current generation of
--]politicians and judges will have to step up and create a new body of law.
--]And given that they can barely fix a parking ticket, that's pretty scary.

bzzzzzzzt. What really needs to be done is the voting public needs to
EDUCATE thier representives on all levels ("hey if you dont get on the
ball tech wise a large block of voters is gonna dump you like a thrice
used tea bag") about (or aboot if your canadian) the issues.

left to themselves the legislature et al would be setting up fifedoms and

                   WSMF's web site ----