FAA real-time airport status page

From: Jim Whitehead (ejw@ics.uci.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 13:27:52 PDT

http://www.fly.faa.gov/

This site provides information, for major airports, about their current air
traffic control status. In particular, at this site you can find out if an
airport is experiencing any weather delays for arriving and departing
flights, and the approximate time of the delay (not that there have been any
weather delays this summer...)

Since this information is publically available, it raises the issue of why
it isn't available to the flying public in airports. After all, sitting
here at home on a day when I'm not flying, this information doesn't do me as
much good as it would if I received it in the airport on a travel day.

Of course, a knowledgeable notification network service might take this
information, parse it, and combine it with information about my current
flights for the day (gathered from the email notification sent by the online
site where I bought my tickets), and tell me automatically that I am likely
to experience delays.

- Jim