Re: Web Technologies in a Tailspin

From: Tom Whore (tomwhore@inetarena.com)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 16:10:51 PDT

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Eugene Leitl wrote:

--]Kragen Sitaker writes:
--]
--] > It looks like we're going to have to resign ourselves to a future where
--] > software is only 90% interoperable, if we're going to get a world where
--] > everyone is publishing XML documents.
--]
--]The problem is obviously that we have to uncouple ourselves from the
--]market (which driving standard balkanization by attempting to lock
--]user base), while still maintaining noninfinitesimal user and
--]developer base.
--]

No shit:)- Heres an example. there is an XML 5 Day Heavy Study course
(called oddly enough XML BootCamp) being given in a few locations in
October. Sadly I am in need of the study and practice of XML and this
would be a great opertunity to get me out of the office, offline, and in a
classroom type setting to get down make love with this beast.

Does my company ok the outing? Well they are leaning against it
cause..well cause I went to a web Designer confernce in Seattle last
months and they think thats plenty good training for the year for "web
related" stuff.

Im trying to explain that the fluff seminars (aside form a few like
zeldmans and a few others) are not on the same level as a 5 day ass
kicking do it or loose it Boot camp focused just on XML.

This afternoon I got handed, well intentionaly, a flyer for an MS XML
Developer DAY on a day wherein ill be on my friggin honeymoon. They think
this might have been what I shouyld go to? A One day MS sellathon for
thier bastardization of Soap and MS SQL 2000 and Biztalk. Oh joy

5 Days of XML or One afternoon of MS which I will need to cut short my
Honeymoon ...can you see the problem here.
Most bizness will drag on this like they dragged(some still are dragging)
on any new tech like the web or good solid infrastructure work.

Thing is if I dont go I will take 3 weeks out of work to study up on it
myself till im on the thick of the details. They will still pay, its just
a matter f they concent to it or not.

Once again a real life example of "who cares what THEY (you know, them)
think, just DIY and let the chips fall into your pocket

    [---===tomwhore@ []wsmf.org []inetarena.com []slack.net===---]
                   WSMF's web site ----http://wsmf.org