Re: Why is RDF hard?

From: Dave Winer (dave@userland.com)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 08:15:12 PDT

>What is the relationship between RSS and the old CDF?

That's a really good question, and I don't know the answer.

I only have my own recollection of CDF. We supported it in Frontier as soon
as it came out.

Were there any tools that did anything with CDF? I'm not aware of any. That
of course doesn't mean there weren't any. ;->

RSS's model was different. CDF viewed a website as a static thing, it
described the pages on the site, and never changed. RSS took an opposite
view. It said a website is a *flow* of stories. An RSS rendering of a site
might change many times over a day. That, imho, made RSS much more
interesting.

RSS was backed by Netscape, not Microsoft. Some people don't like Microsoft.
I do, but as they say ymmv.

RSS was immediately supported by one of the most active news sites on the
net, and then supported by tools with thousands of users.

CDF was early. The Web was still a mystery when CDF came out. RSS came out
at a time when web pubs were looking for something new to do.

RSS was supported by an aggregator from day one. A second aggregator came
online within weeks.

Those are just off the top of my head.

Dave