Re: Ellison on Loserhood

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 20:58:04 PDT

> I don't want to shoot you, but I want you to read this:
>
> http://www.singinst.org/tmol-faq/meaningoflife.html
>
> and give a response.

I refuse to treat seriously any English document where the author uses ridiculous
gender neutral pronouns, i.e. "God" as "Verself." I also have a hard time with most
things that talk about "morals," and "right" and "wrong," because IMO what most
people call morals are just cultural contracts. (If you want a more academic /
rigorous treatment, again you can tip the hat towards game theory as providing a
theoretic framework for moral behavior.) For my money, Tipler's a much more
compelling, much more cogent and insightful treatment of similar. Still pretty
wacked, IMO, but a better read. I'll give this a more thorough pass, though, and see
if anything interestingpops out.

jb