Re: Taking the billion? Re: Gedankenexperiments

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 22:55:11 PDT

> Gordon Mohr wrote:
>
> > That's just silly, a sophist's trick for excusing oneself from criticism
> > by declaring us all incompetent in the matter at hand -- a degenerate case
> > of an appeal to authority.

One last bit for the night, in line with the implicit metadiscussion on how to win an argument.
Please note that it's always good to pepper your counters with terms like "silly," "sophistry,"
"excuse," "incompetent," and "degenerate." "Absurd" is also a good one. Now, for the bonus
points: can we define "hyperbole?" "Invective?" "Misdirection?" "Misrepresentation?"
"Strawman?" How about "rhetorical shystering?"

;-)

jb

(PS, Gordon: nice to spar with you again. I miss it, really I do. :-)