Re: Taking the billion? Re: Gedankenexperiments

From: Dave Winer (dave@userland.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 02:17:53 PDT

What's the other guy saying? That there are things you can buy with a
billion dollars that give you happiness? What would that be? The
satisfaction of a job well done? I know a couple of billionaires. What would
you like to ask them?

They mostly don't seem to be happy people. They seem angry with the rest of
us. There's something they want us to do that we won't do for them. Which
must be frustrating to them because they were lied to when they were kids,
when it seemed like billionaires had it all. "Why isn't it working for me?"
the hapless billionaire says.

My own opinion is that if you have a billion dollars everyone you come in
contact with is an employee or prospective employee. Better to die and go to
hell.

Another thing. Above a certain, relatively low level, there's absolutely no
point in having more money. You can only buy things that you don't use. How
many bedrooms can you sleep in? How many cars can you drive? How many
ex-wives can you hate? (Sorry.) The more things you have the more employees
you need, and the more time you spend with employees. Ever hear the old line
about the posessions start owning you? It's true it's true!

Something to ponder, if it's so great being a billionaire why are there so
many miserable billionaires?

Dave