Re: Taking the billion? Re: Gedankenexperiments

From: Dave Winer (dave@userland.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 02:57:53 PDT

I have a different philosophy, but I respect yours and enjoy the way you express yourself.

I believe we're all barking farting chihuauhuas, no matter how much money you have you die anyway, and your lifespan is incomprehensibly short and the space you occupy infintesmally small, even if you "own" the whole earth. Build your asteroid defenses, and die before they're needed. Better not to build them at all.

People "seem" to be happy, but that doesn't mean they're happy. It's a lot of work to seem happy. It's also a lot of work to *be* happy, as an adult, but it's a totally different kind of work.

The root of unhappiness, imho, for rich or poor, is the desire to be what you can't be, to have what you can't have. What Larry Ellison and Bill Gates, the people, not the icons, really want is something their mothers didn't give them as children. Of course I don't know that for a fact, it's just a theory. But in that they'd be like every other middle aged man, which is exactly what they are.

I have a suggestion for you. Forget about other people for a moment, focus on yourself. What would want if you had a billion dollars? I find that if people really do that, write it down, edit it, revise the list, what happens is they find that the things they want have nothing to do with money. Something to play with, have fun with, if you do it, you'll solve the puzzle.

I've done it myself. My list contains things that are a little too personal to disclose on a list like this, though. ;->

Dave