[TheFeature] Unwiring the World, by Alex Pentland.

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 16:36:38 PDT

Looks like Nokia just launched a community Website for professionals
interested in exploring and envisioning a mobile future:

  http://www.quicken.com/investments/news/story/bw/?story=/news/stories/bw/20000817/a2006.htm

> HELSINKI, Finland--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 17, 2000--Nokia today seized
> the initiative in the mobile Internet space by announcing a new website
> designed to help shape the emerging Mobile Information Society. More
> than an online magazine, TheFeature (www.thefeature.com) aims to become
> the industry's premier thinking space. TheFeature's members - industry
> professionals, academics, media, and others - now have a place to
> gather, learn about, and discuss the issues that affect the industry,
> and share their visions of a mobile future.
>
> TheFeature helps mobile minds meet by offering its members a lively
> community and a set of networking features that includes open discussion
> forums and virtual business cards. Membership is free. In addition,
> TheFeature offers visionary writing and multimedia content from its
> own staff and contributors, and up-to-date news, information, and
> in-depth analysis from such hot-button content partners as The
> Industry Standard, Red Herring, the451.com, The Register, and
> TheStreet.com.
>
> In keeping with our anytime/anywhere mobile philosophy, TheFeature
> offers its visionary content tailored for WAP-enabled devices, Nokia
> Communicators, and Palm OS PDAs via AvantGo. TheFeature.com - It's
> all about the mobile Internet!
>
> Opening the site, Professor Sandy Pentland, Academic Head, MIT Media
> Laboratory, cited by Newsweek as one of the most influential people
> shaping the future today, writes about how the wireless Internet can
> help bring health, education, and political issues to the fore in
> developing countries.

So I went to the site and I liked the piece Sandy Pentland wrote about
"Unwiring the World":

  http://www.thefeature.com/article.jsp?pageid=4989

Cut-n-pasted below for those too lazy to click-through...

> [...]
> themselves, it provides sophisticated local digital communications, and
> supports a wide range of applications in education, health, agriculture,
> and entertainment. It stimulates community grass roots activity around
> its services, and hopes to become a true "community center".
>
> One critical issue is integration of the center with community life. To
> address this issue, we have decided that the center should at first
> provide only the most familiar, basic services: telephone,
> entertainment, postal service, and basic educational and medical
> services. Although capacity to handle all sorts of advanced applications
> must be incorporated in the center as of its deployment, only these
> familiar basic services will be provided at the beginning. As people
> grow their uses and habits, and as the community organizes itself around
> the center, other applications will be brought online.
>
> A second critical issue is that there must be "buy-in" on the part of
> local leadership. The center must be seen as something that enhances
> opportunities in the community, and provides value-added opportunities
> for those people already working in health, education, and
> communications. It must not be seen as a threat. To begin to address
> this problem we have developed a series of ethnographic survey
> techniques that attempt to qualify communities, identify their needs,
> and enlist local champions.
>
> Deployment of the first of these cigital town centers has already
> happened in Central America and the Caribbean, and is underway in
> Africa, Southeast Asia, and India. So far, community response to the
> centers has been overwhelmingly positive. To learn more about the LINCOS
> project, see http://www.lincos.net
>
> Summary
>
> The Internet is going wireless, and wireless technology tends to favor
> rural, developing nations over urban, developed nations. Just as
> cellular phones were adopted more quickly in Malaysia than the US, the
> new generation of wireless Internet devices may well penetrate
> developing nations faster than nations that have already invested
> billions of dollars in wired infrastructure.
>
> The LINCOS project hopes to capitalize on these trends, by packaging
> health, education, information, and communication services together so
> that they can share overhead costs between them and so that necessary
> expenditures (like health) can be cross-subsidized by income-producing
> activities. The goal is to allow rural communities in developing nations
> to have the access to world-class services and opportunities while
> maintaining their economic and cultural independence.
>
> Alex (Sandy) Pentland is the academic head of the M.I.T. Media
> Laboratory and co-Founder of the LINCOS Foundation. He one of the 50
> most-cited authors in computer science, won numerous academic awards,
> and was selected by Newsweek Magazine as one of the 100 Americans most
> likely to shape the next century. His web site is at

----
Adam@4K-Associates.Com

San Jose, California, Aug. 17 (Bloomberg) -- EBay Inc., the world's largest Internet auction site, said it halted at least four auctions by people trying to sell their votes in the U.S. presidential election. EBay said several users alerted it about an auction in which the seller set initial bidding at $1. At least three other auctions with similar offers were taken down today, said Kevin Pursglove, eBay's spokesman. The auction site's guidelines forbid the sale of illegal items. In the past, eBay has pulled offensive offerings from its auction listings, including seats at a death-row inmate's execution and a rifle allegedly salvaged from the Branch Davidian compound siege seven years ago. -- http://my.aol.com/business/story.tmpl?table=n&cat=0208&id=0008170535165177