Folding@Home - amusements

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 23:25:55 PDT

You'll love this...

Did lunch and a debug session with the Folding@Home guys, trying to find
where in our code there was some serious stack clobbering going on...
Turned out that the Makefile they hacked together to get around not
having borland5.0 had a typo in it. Total bugs in fully audited parts of
Cosm libraries to date: 0. They should be launching in a couple days.
Woohoo! The screensaver version looks sweeeeeeeet.

Now for the amusing part.

To get around the fact that none of the GNU compilers for Win32 actually
work, at all, they did some tricks with the windows version, a system
call to the fortran library and such. End result: they unwittingly used
the CS-SDK, and their code, and created a client that does everything
the 20 copycat projects I bitch about on a regular basis do.

So much for barriers to entry folks... people are making "distributed
computing" (in the press mutilated meaning) software by accident now :)

*big happy grin*

Now where the hell is my 10 million in VC money?

- Adam L. Beberg
  Mithral Communications & Design, Inc.
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/
  beberg@mithral.com - http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/