RISKS of new legislation

From: Rodent of Unusual Size (Ken.Coar@Golux.Com)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 13:07:11 PDT

Here's one that sent my wife into gales of laughter..

I've been using eGroups for months now, and haven't been terribly
impressed with them. But some of the lists I need to follow are
there, so oh well.

I was recently added to a list by the list moderator, who set
me to 'Web-only'. Since I wanted to get posts in email, I had
to log in to eGroups to change the setting. Since I had never
changed my profile, I did that too (it might have been required;
I forget).

One of the required fields on the profile was 'birthdate', with
no explanation (that I saw) of why they needed it. I don't
consider that to be any of eGroups' business, so I put in
1 January 2000. No problemo.

Except now I can't post to my lists because eGroups thinks I'm
under 13 years of age, and pursuant to US law, requires consent
from my parents. (They must think me precocious, though, to
be posting at eight months of age. :-)

Fixing this requires manual intervention by eGroups, who list
no telephone numbers and whose domain contact's telephone number
is bogus. Pretending to be my own parent (with my middle name and
a different eddress), I get a form that will 'take a couple of
weeks to process.' Emails to the support address have as yet
garnered no action nor response.

When I'm not irritated by this, I think it's a hoot.

--
#ken    P-)}

Ken Coar <http://Golux.Com/coar/> Apache Software Foundation <http://www.apache.org/> "Apache Server for Dummies" <http://Apache-Server.Com/> "Apache Server Unleashed" <http://ApacheUnleashed.Com/>