Re: [Fwd: Eliezer speaks (forwardable)] - was loserhood and analysis

From: Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 19:44:18 PDT

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky writes:

> > Eugene's not proposing to *do* anything to me with his uberbeing, like
> > subjegate me to some loony set of seed Rules that he thinks are spiffy and
> > fair. Yet, anyway. ;-) (Eugene?)
>
> As far as I can tell, 'gene wants to turn you loose in an ecology of
> competing superintelligences with no particular motivation to be nice to
> you.

Actually, I think that we live in an ecology of competing
intelligences (from the virus to humans and higher-level clusters of
humans) with no particular motivation to be nice to each other, other
than what co-evolution makes them. The "super" thing is only in the
eye of the observer.

My stance is rather that I don't see a mechanism allowing you to strip
that regime sustainably, unless the whole ecology is sterilized, or
has managed to sterilize itself. Of course, everybody is encouraged to
keep looking -- evolutionary algorithms are not particularly enjoyable
at the receiving end.

Of course, if you're lucky enough to be a smart critter, you can
progressively slide over into more benign cooperation algorithms, as
you remember the history of your past dealings with others and can
authenticate, as well as extrapolate.