Transmeta files S-1, signs Sony, and flirts with a Gigahertz...

From: Adam Rifkin (adam@KnowNow.com)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2000 - 22:46:56 PDT

Transmeta filed its S-1 this week:

   http://www.transmeta.com/press/s1.html

Here's the free edgar version:

   http://www.freeedgar.com/Search/FilingsResults.asp?SourcePage=CompanyList&CIK=1001193&UseFrame=1&FormType=&DateFiled=&CompanyName=TRANSMETA+CORP

[Lots of goodies in there, Rohit.]

Geez, this company is too huge to be considered a "scrappy" startup.
Anyone want to play a game of "Where's Linus"?

   http://www.transmeta.com/images/company_large.jpg

Looks like Transmeta also unveiled a new chip and signed up Sony:

   http://www.idg.net/ic_220903_1773_1-483.html

> Wednesday saw the startup introduce a new model of its Crusoe chip, the
> TM5600, at the Hot Chips conference, and then came the news that Sony
> has been added to Transmeta's growing roster of clients.
> The TM5600 is a 700MHz chip designed for use in ultra-light notebook
> computers and is based on Transmeta's 128-bit VLIW (Very Long
> Instruction Word) technology. Just as with Transmeta's other Crusoe
> processors, the TM3200 and TM5400, the TM5600 requires far less
> battery power than most processors, according to the company, which
> says that the new chip consumes 10 percent less power than its already
> low-power Crusoe predecessors.

> Though Transmeta's processors are not based on the x86 architecture,
> the one that underlies Intel and AMD chips, they are fully compatible
> with that standard. The process of achieving that compatibility slows
> down the Transmeta processors, Krewell indicated.
>
> Performance concerns haven't deterred Sony from adding itself to a
> list of laptop makers using Transmeta chips that already includes such
> industry heavyweights as IBM, Fujitsu, Hitachi and NEC. Sony confirmed
> that it will in fact ship a future model of its VAIO laptop computer
> with the Crusoe processor at its heart.
>
> Published reports said the laptop will ship by the end of the
> year. Sony said that the notebook will be added to the existing VAIO
> C1 line of ultra-light portables. The C1 series includes a digital
> camera built into the top of the screen, is slightly more than one
> inch thick and weighs in at just over 2 pounds.
>
> Transmeta processors are targeted at exactly this type of lightweight
> computer, which focuses on battery life over performance, according to
> Krewell.
>
> "The processor alone can't double battery life," he said, noting that
> factors such as display types and hard drive use also play large roles.

ZDNet was more melodramatic about it:

   http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2617253,00.html

> As the old saying goes, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." Advanced
> Micro Devices Inc. and Transmeta Corp. are about to announce a relationship.

> However, sources say the two companies might swap patents in a manner
> similar to AMD's past patent-swapping deal with Motorola Inc.
>
> Transmeta is particularly interested in AMD's Lightning Data Transfer
> technology, sources said. LDT is a high-speed processor interconnect
> technology created to be AMD's new bus technology. It provides up to a
> 20-fold increase in bandwidth and will be used for input/output,
> co-processing and multi-processing functions. LDT will see use later
> this year in forthcoming chip sets for Athlon processors.

> Earlier in the week Transmeta CEO David Dietzel revealed details on
> the company's latest Crusoe processor for notebook PCs, the TM5600,
> running at speeds of up to 800MHz. A follow-on to the TM5600, the
> TM5800, will reach gigahertz speeds in the first half of next year.

A gigahertz in .13 micron technology (with a 1MB cache) expected to be
released sometime in 2001? Rajit, is that supposed to impress us?

> IBM also licensed Transmeta's chip technology in December 1997, and
> Toshiba followed suit in February 1998. Initially, the agreements
> gave IBM and Toshiba the ability to manufacture x86-compatible chips
> using technology acquired from Transmeta.
>
> "Under these agreements, we received license fees, access to
> technology, engineering and test services, mask sets and wafer and
> other production services and granted IBM and Toshiba rights to
> manufacture and market x86-compatible products incorporating the
> licensed technology," the S-1 form stated.
>
> Transmeta, however, reacquired those rights it granted to IBM and
> Toshiba for cash and stock.
>
> "(Now) IBM and Toshiba retain a license to manufacture, market and sell
> non-x86 compatible products incorporating the licensed technology," the
> S-1 form states. "We are not entitled to any future license fees under
> these license agreements, and we do not expect to receive license
> revenue from any other party."

Man, the things companies have to do to strike deals with the big guys...

And here's ZDNet's "Climbing the megahertz ladder" section:

   http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2617253-2,00.html

> More details from the S-1 filing indicate that Transmeta has no plans
> to stop at 800MHz. Its TM5800 chip, due in the first half of next
> year, will hit speeds of 1GHz (1,000MHz).
>
> "As yields improve and customer performance demands increase, we
> expect to introduce the TM5800 Crusoe microprocessor. We expect that
> this microprocessor may have increased Level 2 cache of up to 1MB, and
> use more advanced semiconductor technology, moving to a .13 micron
> CMOS technology as soon as it is available during 2001," the S-1 says.
>
> The TM5800 will allow Transmeta to catch up with rival Intel Corp.,
> which will hit 1GHz in the first half of the year with its mobile
> Pentium III. AMD (NYSE: AMD) should also be at or near 1GHz around
> the same time. It will begin shipping mobile Athlon chips this fall.
>
> When it comes to the Internet appliance market, Transmeta is moving
> its TM3000 series chip technology toward lower power and lower cost.

----
Adam@KnowNow.Com

Ok. You asked for it. The ThinkGeek Caffeine Sampler is designed to let you experience some of the different caffeine sensations out there. It's also perfect LAN Party Sustenance (LANPS) as well as the Ultimate Study Pack (USP).

Your ThinkGeek Caffeine Sampler Ultra Mega Pack will include: 1 Tins Penguin Mints 1 Tin Energy Mints 3 Bawls Guarana 3 Water Joe 3 Kosmic Cola X' Drinx 3 Root Beer Riot X' Drinx 3 Berry Bomb X' Drinx 3 Twisted Citrus X' Drinx 2 Jolt Cola 2 Jolt Cherry Bomb 2 Jolt Citrus Climax

Arrives as a single case of 24 beverages and two tins of mints. How much caffeine is included? We stopped counting after the first 3000 mgs...

Price: $38.

-- http://www.thinkgeek.com/brain/bazaar/mart/cart.cgi?action=view&type=item&itemid=31c6