Re: [NYTimes] Austin, we have a problem

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Sat Aug 19 2000 - 16:54:19 PDT

Adam Rifkin wrote:

> Sounds like a nice place to visit, but I'm not sure why people are so
> insistent on living there right now... Jeff or Lorin, set me straight,
> what's so nice about Austin?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. She's a complete hellhole. Absolutely a hellhole.
You'd never want to live here. They've cancelled the weekly watermelon
seed-spittin contest down at the Saloon. The sheriff's on the take; fear rules
the streets whenever the Bush Brothers are in town. There's so damn many
ferriners (that's anybody from anywhere but Austin) in town these days that it's
almost impossible to find a place to hitch yer horse. The price of a room at the
Inn has climbed way way out of the realm of the affordable, but to nearly $2 a
night. The "daily" train from Ft. Worth that brings the mail actually only runs
some of the time, about twicet a week. All them whoors down at the Other Saloon
done came down with some kinda bug, makes it hurt when you pee if you sleep -w-
'em, and Doc Sheppard cain't figger out what to do to fixet.

Take my advice, pardners; you don't wanna move here.

;-)

Now, seriously: rather than answer the question directly, let me give y'all some
personal history. I moved to Austin to go to school in '85. It was fantastic,
funky, laid-back little (extended) city of about 400k at that point. Nestled on
the edge of the rolling "Hill Country" of Texas (flat and deciduous woods to the
east, rough rolling hills and srubby oak woods to the west) and crisscrossed with
creeks, rivers, and lakes, it's just a fantastic setting: the most interesting,
varied, green, wet, and beautiful part of Texas by far. Austin's a liberal
stronghold in a very conservative state, so much so that it's sometimes called
(for that and other reasons) Planet Austin. Basically, every old hippy from Texas
or surrounding states moved to Austing and tried to keep the 60s alive as that
whole thing kinda wound down. So you get a really funky, diverse, generally
laid-back culture coupled with the best things about Texas. I was reluctant to
leave it when my career lead me out to CA to work for Sun in 1989.

Impressions of the Bay Area, circa 1989-1992: suburban hellhole. Totally
homogeneous. Pre-packaged. Synthetic. Isomorphic. Pretensious. Weirdly
provencial. Surprisingly racist, under a veneer of hypercorrectness. Inflated
sense of its own importance. Land of Strip Malls. Overengineered. Gang-raped by
franchises. Crowded. Single-themed. The opposite of laid back. Dry. Car
fetishistic. Not user friendly. Hyperexpensive. Basically totally
uninteresting. Utter alpha male turbo business geek culture, and *nothing at all
but that.* Soul killing. (A few exceptions: Niles, Niles Canyon, Hondo, US 84,
Skyline. The City, of course, very very cool. If I'd lived in the City I'd have
stayed longer.) After spending 3 years gushing praise about Austin to the deaf
ears of the NoCals, I moved back to Austin in 1992, goals: start company. Buy
house. Relax and enjoy life. (Didn't realize that #1 and #3 were somewhat at
odds. ;-)

I get back just as the boom is starting, here. Started company. Got divorced,
didn't buy house, accomplished "enjoy" without "relax." Then we go into
hypergrowth. We're overrun by Californians. Traffic becomes a nightmare. House
prices soar as the transplantees translate their equity / house price
discontinuities into houses. Old-time residents get pushed out into the new burbs
while the newbies eat away the core. Austin's long-time growth control policy
gives way to new policy of "Smart Growth," i.e. encouraged hypergrowth.
Developers nibble away at everything cool. A stripmall renaissance. Sprawl takes
off in an exponential fashion in the burbs, leading to huge expanses of totally
homogeneous 3/3.5 McMansions. In town, the cost of a modest funky remodeled 40s
cottage -w- updates goes from $100k in 1992 to *well* over $500k this year.
Basically, you can't buy anything even halfway decent within 10 miles of the
capital without something like that kind of change; within a few miles of the
capitol, even tarpaper shack knockdowns are going for $450k and up. Lots are
north of $1M in the "better" (meaning those that were funkyhiptrendyaffordable a
decade a go) neighborhoods. (Of course, I didn't buy anything until this year. :-/
) The dynamic of the town changes. Club scene dies as city decides freaky
alternakids encamping on 6th aren't as interesting as 20something and 30something
geekyups and "joes," i.e. the totally bland and mainstream part of college
culture. A brief attempt by the industrial music culture to transplant from
Chi-town to Austin and turn latter into "Hell Central" in 1993/1994 falls apart
when gung-ho cop types bust Al Jourgenson's "Rancho Hell" compound, confiscate
some heroin, and basically run him and his out of the state. Population of
extended city surges past 1M and keeps on going, picking up steam. 2 year waiting
list for even unpopular contractors for residential construction projects.
Infrastructure designed for 300k, tops, strains. Water use in summers becomes
problematic, Austin --- the wettest city in central Texas --- starts having to
implement water rationing just about every summer.

Net result today: we are essentially a complete clone of the Bay Area in 1992.
It's depressing. The "don't move here" part was sincere; on the one hand, Austin
doesn't need any more refugees moving here for quality-of-life; they've pretty
much already killed it. OTOH, refugees from CA probably wouldn't know any better
and think it's all the bee's knees as they proceed to lay waste to what's left of
the Old Austin Thang.

I'm outta here as soon as I can find a little central Texas town with affordable
DSL and easy access to an airport. Preferably, one that's out of the likely path
of the sprawl juggernaut. Mark my words: within 20 or so, the entire 35 corridor
from Austin to San Antonio will be one contiguous metroplex. And that's sad,
because they're going to eat a whole bunch of really cool stuff between here and
there.

jb