Re: [NYTimes] Austin, we have a problem

From: Lorin Rivers (lrivers@realsoftware.com)
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 14:06:06 PDT

At 4:18 PM -0700 8/19/2000, Adam Rifkin wrote:
>Sounds like a nice place to visit, but I'm not sure why people are
>so insistent on living there right now... Jeff or Lorin, set me
>straight, what's so nice about Austin?
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/library/magazine/home/20000820mag-austin.html

Nothing. It sucks. Stay away!

It's been over 100 F almost everyday for almost 6 weeks and rained
once. We've had over 30 Ozone Action days this year. The roaches are
huge, and they fly. Not to mention the mosquitos...

My family's lived here since 1870. Like anyone who grew up in a
mega-growth area, I remember when.

Hopefully the .com flameouts won't suck all the business down...

Austin's had a couple of huge reversals in my lifetime, one so bad I
had to leave town to get a job doing anything other than waiting
tables.

--

Lorin Rivers 512.263.1233 x712 v Product Manager 512.263.1441 f REAL Software, Inc. mailto:lrivers@realsoftware.com PMB 220 http://www.realsoftware.com 3300 Bee Caves Road, Suite 650 Austin, Texas 78746 REALbasic: the visual, object-oriented BASIC development environment for the Macintosh