Re: XORBA, XELDA, antileasing, presence, and other random thoughts

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 01:06:34 PDT

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Mark Baker wrote:
> POST
> GET
> DELETE
> You probably also want replacement, ala PUT.
> Let's just call it "The Web", and check the little "been there, done that"
> box.

What was that "law" that all protocols will evolve until they replicate
all the functions of TCP/IP? Lets just call it the wheel, beat the dead
horse that was pulling it (call the ASPCA), and go take a nap.

Lets reimplement all the solutions we've had since the stone age that we
used TCP for, and use HTTP instead *wink wink* "We have to, it's the
firewalls"... Sure the XML is 3x as large and noone can really
understand the layers and layers of abstractions to maintain it... It's
good for you, really, trust us...

Why are computer geeks so completely obsessed with repeating history
over and over and over and over... Oh wait, the 50$/hour "stuff another
acronym on the resume" while playing Quake scam will fall apart if the
public/suits find out whats going on... shhhhhhhhhhh... don't tell them
their problem was solved in 1975 and we've been cut & pasting it since.

That's OK, the real users of this stuff are still using things like
frames and simple HTML, maybe a style sheet. By the time they catch up
to RDF, we'll be discussing the 4th thing past RDF on FoRK, and things
won't support RDF anymore... like it ever will with 50 implementations
that won't work together anyway.

This is so much more amusing now, then when I was a web deveolper. At
the time this kind of stuff was a constant royal pain in the arse. How
do you explain to people that you have to redesign their site cause some
geek with their head up their arse at Netscape or Microsoft decided to
change how the "standard" worked that week. I always felt like a cog in
some grand scam and should goto hell for it (well, I was living in
Chicago). So glad I don't deal with the Web anymore.

Step back, see what's really going on, and if you're at work in your
cube, dont laugh too loud ;)

[not to imply by any means that anyone should stop coming up with these
solutions to problems that are already long solved, I still have friends
who make lots of money off keeping up with the web wave-o-protocols,
and if the web ever becomes user friendly, their Quake game will suffer]

- Adam L. Beberg
  Mithral Communications & Design, Inc.
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/
  beberg@mithral.com - http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/