Re: Prozac for everyone.

From: cdale@silly.techmonkeys.net
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 12:11:24 PDT

Sorry, but I don't/will not believe that every "sufferer" needs Prozac or
the like to bring them out of whatever is going on. I went into a Dr's
office in tears because I hadn't slept for weeks due to night terrors and
panic attacks, two things that do NOT mix with antidepressants, and the
fact that I was crying was enough for him to throw antidepressants at me,
without even -listening- to me when I told him the -reasons- I happened to
be crying. I promptly threw them right back at him, told him to kiss my
white ass, and went to the town "quack" to get xanax so I could SLEEP.
All I needed was SLEEP. I've been taking xanax now for 13 years, and I
sleep just fine and have not been depressed. And -still- I have to go to
the town "quack" to get the medication that is right for me, at least in
MS. I did have an awesome doc at Duke when I was in NC who allowed me to
actually tell her how I was feeling and who acted on that and prescribed
me what I needed and then some. No, not everyone can pinpoint what's
wrong and what they need, but many can and do, and are thrown the prozac
bone anyhow. Like Aspirin? Uhm, no. I can't say that I've ever lost a
whole day and awakened to find myself in fetal position on the floor
wondering what the hell happened to me after taking asprin. Hell, LSD has
more predictable affects on me than antidepressants do. So, please, don't
compare prozac to aspririn, and please, demand that your doctor listen to
YOUR special individual problems rather than throwing a Fix In a Box at
ya.
Cindy

 "A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point of doubtful sanity."
          -- Robert Frost