Re: [FkedCompany] Deepleap goes away...

From: Lane Becker (lane@monstro.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 07:41:03 PDT

>Deepleap -- Neat technology but no immediately apparent customers. I
>wonder who will pick it up in a firesale.

Well, we've gotten interest in it from a wide range of companies since I
sent out that message. Which was a big part of the reason we sent it
out. :) So I'll let you know when something happens. Unless someone on
this list is interested...

>It's a jungle out there, and
>they hit their "fume date" way too soon. (That term, "fume date", I
>learned in the NY Times article about Webtaggers
>
> http://www.webtaggers.com/nytart.html

Never heard that one. Webtaggers has an idiotic, much replicated idea
(branded toolbar on IE) and AVLabs backing, and AV is big here in town,
so I can't imagine they'll just disappear. I'm sure they'll just
completely rewrite the biz plan once they discover that no one's buying it.

>I guess lots of press isn't worth what it used to be...
>
> http://www.deepleap.com/about/press.html

How's that saying go? Press is easy. Comedy is difficult. Something
like that. Anyway, it was my experience that most of the reporters I
spoke with were so utterly delighted to have a human on the other end of
the line rather than a pr droid that they went on to write glowing,
glowing reviews. Funny how that works.

lane

lane, at monstro.com
on the web at http://www.monstro.com/