Re: encryption export law

From: Rodent of Unusual Size (Ken.Coar@Golux.Com)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 13:41:45 PDT

cdale@silly.techmonkeys.net wrote:

> Since the subject came up, I'll add another question: RSA patents
> are up in september, I believe. Everyone seems to be very happy
> about this, but I don't have any idea why. When a patent is up,
> does this mean that it's suddenly free for everyone to use/export?

No, it just means that people can use the technology without
having to licence it from (and pay concomitant fees to) the
patent holder.

--
#ken    P-)}

Ken Coar <http://Golux.Com/coar/> Apache Software Foundation <http://www.apache.org/> "Apache Server for Dummies" <http://Apache-Server.Com/> "Apache Server Unleashed" <http://ApacheUnleashed.Com/>