Re: DigitalConvergence.com: Look out mouse, here comes the cat...

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 01:25:59 PDT

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Eugene Leitl wrote:

> Seriously, hiding of content in database-backed websites is a serious
> problem. Why can't each database associate the URI (a DB query string)
> for each indexable object with an up-to-date full-text index, and
> leave the thing in a specified location, for the web spiders to pick
> it up?

*stands at microphone with spotlight*

What's the difference between being spider'd and a DoS attack?

*dramatic paws*

The script kitty will eventually stop.

Is this thing on? *tap tap*

But seriously, most database content worth the high costs of hosting is
owned by someone that doesn't want the spiders getting at it and
mirroring out in public like say... google. I don't see that changing
anytime soon.

Are people really THAT lazy they can't type a URL? People will carry
around another mouse sized gizmo with their laptops? Was this the plan
behind the insane plan for the new 63 character domain names all
along? hmmm.... i smell fish... flip, flop, a flippity bippity flop.

- Adam L. Beberg
  Mithral Communications & Design, Inc.
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/
  beberg@mithral.com - http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/